Thursday, April 26, 2012

Food Journal-Day 5 Heidi

So I'm writing a little early, because not only am I trying to study for a final tomorrow, but I have a choir concert for my second grader to attend this evening as well. I am currently procrastinating (my specialty) but later this evening I know I will be buried in memorizing the nervous system and this will not be on my radar.

This week so far has gone fine. This is pretty normal for me, no PMS and I am a boredom eater not a stress eater, so since I'm swamped with school work, exams, finals, and mom stuff I just don't care that much about food.

Without further ado:

Breakfast: 1 egg and 1/4 corned beef hash.
Lunch: peanut butter and honey sandwich on ww an apple and a Fiber One 90 calorie brownie. Diet Coke
Snack: An apple and a quaker chewy granola bar.
Snack: carrots, I was really hungry around 4:30 so I just munched on a few of these to get my mind back on my studies.
Dinner: Chicken enchiladas that I made last night, and corn.
Snack: I have no idea, but I will edit later if I have one.***I had a Greek Yogurt. :) Tasty, and filling. Good choice I think.
Random: It's going to be a late night, so I will be making coffee.And drinking it. I use a little bit of coffee mate in it, and usually splenda. I'm considering stopping with artificial sweeteners over time, and may try stevia in my coffee. I'm still debating this with myself though. I'll let you know what I decided. ***ETA: I went with the Splenda. But after reading comments I feel a little guilty. ;) I will be working on that in the near future. I may give up soda for the summer. I have to admit, I'm hanging on to it for finals week. It's just not a good time to try to break a bad habit.

I also have had 3 32 oz glasses of water today in addition to my soda.

A few things to note. The corned beef hash--not really all that good for you, but the thing is that I ate 1/4 of a serving for starters, so I'm guessing about 70-80 calories there, and I love it. Plus with the egg, I was full all morning. I really need to change my view on things, because diets don't work for me. I am trying this new thing, I can have what I love, even every day if I want but in moderation. This may save me from falling off the wagon and over eating the stuff I love after about the 3 week mark. (This is when I always falter and struggle and give in and eat way too much crap over the course of a few days).

The other thing is that after my son would only eat peanut butter sandwiches 2 times a day (breakfast and lunch for the majority of his pre-school years and still almost daily for lunch) that we really had to do something about all that sugar. So we use peanut butter that is just peanuts and salt, and we use low-sugar/no sugar jams/jellies. And we only buy wheat bread. I just want to throw that out there, because I think that PBJ can be good for you, and I don't really like meat sandwiches, so you will see a lot of these on my menus. Still kind of high in calories, but again, I know myself, and I won't stick to turkey sandwiches for very long. So I'm trying it my way this time and we shall see how things go.

I should be eating more veggies. I don't know how I'm going to go about that. I am lazy in the kitchen so I hate prepping veggies, even though I love to eat them. I'm also not a fan of most raw veggies. This creates a dilemma for sure. So I'm open to suggestions on how to improve in this area. Let me know if you have any ideas for incorporating veggies without too much effort! :) (And it sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem, it might be genetic!)



ALSO ETA: I want to say that there is so much going on behind the scenes on this blog! Check out the comments section too, some really great conversations are being had there. Thanks so much for reading!





9 comments:

  1. Yep Genetic for sure! I have a bag of the little carrots in my frig that may/may not be any good now. Haven't opened them since before Christmas....I like raw cauliflower but it gets icky because I forget IT is there. So I am anxious to see what the suggestions are... I like CB hash and eggs too but that is usually dinner food since I don't want to mess with cooking in the AM - I am eating a mini bagle with a bit of cream cheese and yogurt sometimes with 1/3 c granola - what about that? Is that OK? It seems to help me get through MOST of the morning..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the key for staying full is to eat a protein with a carb. I think that if you are eating a white bagel, switching to a whole grain (make sure it's not enriched wheat flour, but whole wheat) and greek yogurt would make that better (Greek yogurt has so much more protein!) I think eating what works for you is best, and eating what you like is important too. But you can make small changes to make them even better choices.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the previous delete... I didn't actually finish my post, I got distracted and posted it before I was done!

    Artificial sweeteners have actually been proven to cause other sugar cravings, and hunger imbalances, just as an FYI.

    It's a pain to cut up veggies, but if you do it all at once then it's done for the week! There's a really nifty tray from Pampered Chef that is meant to be used as a party server for veggies but it's perfect to store pre-cut up veggies for the week and cook/eat as you go that way the family can grab too. OR just chop the stems off of broccoli and cauliflower and chop carrots into halves and bag for the week. This way your veggies are all prepped and you can fix them however you want to when you get the chance!

    Fry's also has some pretty awesome selections of frozen veggies like lima beans and brussels sprouts... but then again maybe I'm strange and I'm the only one who likes those. You can cook all kinds veggies into stuff like adding zukes and yellow squash to enchiladas as a way to get extra veggies without anyone taking much notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that when I get through next week, I'm going to set a goal for the summer to cut up veggies for my family every Sunday. If I can make it a habit before school is back in session, I think it will be easy to keep up with. Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to agree with the above poster, if you can do one thing that will make a huge impact to your overall health and ability to control cravings, drop the diet soda and all sugar-free stuff. There is huge amount of data showing how these neurotransmitters (aspartame and glutamate) cross the blood-brain barrier and wreak havoc. Essentially you are expecting sugar and when you don't actually eat it (or drink it) your body craves it even more! Aside from all the peripheral side effects that these toxic things do to you, they literally sabotage your effort to reduce sugar and carb cravings. All this from a non-professional! Here are a few articles to back up my non-expert opinion, some may be more peer-reviewed than others.

    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx
    http://www.rense.com/general81/molec.htm

    This blog is really great to read and identify with, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shala, I have done so much food research, I *know* all of that, but I struggle because Diet Dr. Pepper is seriously my vice. I was not aware of the blood brain barrier issue, very interesting stuff. Especially considering how difficult that is to breach. I'm intrigued and will be doing some more research. Giving up fake sugar will be hard. That said, I do really enjoy mineral water with a few drops of liquid vanilla stevia. Very similar to creme soda and SO much better for you.

      Delete
  5. I figured out how to log in, yea. Somewhere I read about you wanting to drink your veggies. Dr Oz had one with lettuce spinach banana. It was on this week. It sounded good. I wll try to get you the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. here it is https://www.facebook.com/login.php?login_attempt=1

    ReplyDelete