Sunday, April 22, 2012

Food Journal - Day 1 (Katie)

The first day falls to me, Katie.  Welcome to our blog!  If you didn't read the introductory post feel free to go check that out first for a little background information. 

We decided to do our first 100 days as a food journal. Like I said before our initial discussions centered around this blog being health related. So while we debated the virtues of giving up sugar or soda or chocolate we eventually came to the conclusion that we needed a way to define our weaknesses.  We are all overweight so weight loss methods are something we've all read up on (if not implemented, ahem) and we all know that nearly every diet or lifestyle change plan tells you the first thing to do is to write down what you eat.  This makes you accountable.  I'm hoping that this will make me accountable because I'm currently gaining weight at an unprecedented rate (except for the three times I was pregnant, but I assure you that is not my excuse this time!).  In fact I've decided to post my weight (eek!) for all to see just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity if just being accountable to someone or something will help me make better choices, and hopefully, lose some weight.

So far though, it didn't work very well.  Despite knowing I was going to have to write this all down I still ate all this today:

Breakfast:
Carnation Instant breakfast in about 16 ounces of 2% milk and a banana.

Snack:
A handful of Cheez-it crackers and a little pack of dinosaur fruit snacks I stole from the kids.  A Diet Mt. Dew.

Lunch:
A Healthy Choice Steamers (lemon chicken).

Snack:
An Orange Dream Eegee's (for those of you outside Arizona you won't know what this is...but it is heaven and it is frozen and it is kind of like a slushy.  Only they tell you it contains vitamins and real fruit so it is healthy!--Shut up!)  Some more Cheez-it crackers, and a Fruit and Grain cereal bar.

Dinner:
Something my mom makes and calls "Oriental Chicken Salad".  It has some chicken breast, some cabbage, some oil of some kind, sesame seeds and probably some other things too but I've never made it so I'm not really sure.  But it's really yummy!  I had some Ritz crackers with that and  a glass of chocolate milk.

Dessert: A slice of angel food cake with whipped cream and a scoop of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.  (some of this was reduced sugar I bet, since I was at my moms and my dad is diabetic)

Snack (again):
A smoothie made with berries, vanilla Greek yogurt, a scoop of raspberry sorbet, orange juice and ice.  A hard boiled egg.

Oh boy!  Looking through that makes me feel full. (which is probably sort of the point).  I clearly need to cut down on snacking on junk (WHERE are the fruits and veggies?!?) and probably cut down on sugar.

Today my weight is:  152.4

And now I'll be passing the honor on to Heidi who gets to do her first post all about eating at the county fair...hopefully she won't feel too restricted and can feel better the next time she posts!

4 comments:

  1. This ought to be interesting! Just be sure you are always nice to everyone - INCLUDING your mom who has TRIED to do nutrious - every once in a while! And Katie, the Oriental Chicken Salad also has sliced almonds and the cabbage is a vegi! It was canola oil and fake sugar - oh, and raman packet and the noodles. Sorry about dessert - only the icecream was sugar free.... but I do TRY! I am not responsible for everything else you ate yesterday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea! I look forward to the blog's progress (and yours' and your sisters' too). -- Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orange dream... I've had at least two a week since the beginning of the month. Oy vey!

    ReplyDelete