Sunday, April 29, 2012

Food Journal-Day 8 (Heidi)

Another day of studying for finals flew by. And can I just say that my brain my explode if I have to look at one more Chemistry problem tonight.

So here I am.

First the menu for the day:

Breakfast- I had a serving of Kashi Go-Lean with milk and a banana. I love this cereal, but I am a lover of grainy/nutty/crunchy cereals. Since I was a kid. I attribute that to my mean mom who would never let us have the "good" stuff unless we were camping. :) Thanks mom! I know it's something that many people struggle with, but it's good to me.

I also had a 32 oz glass of water.

Snack- 1/4 C fresh pineapple, and a quaker granola bar.

Lunch-leftover chicken enchilada (I made a big pan!) and 32oz water

Snack- green smoothie. 1/2 cup peanuts with the shell.

Diet pepsi-2 cans today

Dinner- Shawn's homemade spaghetti with ground turkey and celery and more water. :) It was hot today. Water was not an issue for me.
Fiber One brownie for desert

Now, some notes. First off, lets talk about that smoothie. So all over pinterest and the blogosphere I've been reading up on these green smoothies. And everyone is raving about them, and how they are so good your kids will drink them up and ask for more! And honestly? I've been really reluctant to try them out, because I just can't see with the ingredients list that they will taste good.

Well after all this talk about getting more veggies in, I took the plunge, grabbed some spinach and some frozen peaches and came home to give it a shot.

I used this recipe Green Smoothie for weight loss recipe, minus the mango (that stuff is insanely expensive) and I used fresh pineapple instead. I also cut back on the spinach because I was just using my magic bullet.

Now, when I finished blending it, it tasted very much like fruity spinach. Which is fine in a salad, but not as a beverage. So I added more peaches. It didn't help. So I added more pineapple and some of the juice. And then I added some vanilla stevia. And then it still tasted like fruity spinach, but since I had so much stuff invested in this tiny cup I tried to give it to my kid. She balked, and then ran away to get a drink because it as "nasty!".

No tricking my kids. So I tried to drink it. Thinking surely I would get used to it. But alas. I did not, and half of it (or possibly more than that) went into the garbage disposal.

So. Your mileage may vary of course. But I think green smoothies are off the menu for me, because I'm sure by the time I get them to not taste like spinach they will not be all that good for me. Now I should add, that I had really high hopes for this. I even took pictures, I was going to post them and rave about how fantastic they were and how you could just drink your veggies while tricking your brain into thinking you were at Dairy Queen. So I really did go into this with a positive mindset. I now suspect most people just pin these things on pinterest in the same vein as I do, to try later, when really the world famous chocolate chip cookie recipe next to it on the board is the one you actually make and eat.

Also, I wanted to note that I don't think I moved my butt out of this chair today. I did dishes. I got up to use the bathroom and refill my water cup. Beyond that, I was firmly planted in front of this damn computer getting my booty kicked by my insane chemistry professor with the homework assignment from hell.

This makes for a long day, and I did get bored. I am feeling pretty good about my food choices today in spite of the fact that I would rather have eaten anything in the house rather than do my work, but I kept asking myself "Are you hungry or bored". Trying to assess this for myself is a goal I have with this journal challenge.

What kind of eater are you? Have you considered why? Have you tried anything that works to keep you on track so you don't give in?


6 comments:

  1. what keeps me on track is to treat my self to a little treat everyday. I have been eating 2 or 3 dark chocolate chips when I get a sweet craving. As long as you don't eat the whole bag. Also I eat one or two Dove bites, the frozen ice cream covered in dark chocolate. The little bite size ones, I can get 3 bite out of each one to make them last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. I like my "green Smoothies" however, I throw in frozen blueberries and it becomes a blue smoothie. Spinach is the hardest to eat in the smoothie I find. I like Kale in mine, but mostly I just make an effort to use up all the veggies in the bountiful basket before they go bad. So my recipe varies from day to day and I like raw honey in mine. Good for the allergies and sweetens it. Give it another whirl and take it easy on yourself and start with less veggie more fruit and start throwing the balance. Or if its green and need to not taste spinachy. Maybe Mint flavoring would help with the thought process. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh. I didn't use that much spinach. I still thought it tasted "earthy". I love fruit smoothies. I don't like Kale either. :/ It's ok. I will happily slurp down my protein shakes/smoothies and eat my veggies another way.

      Delete
  3. I like my smoothies but the are never green ;) I've never been sure about them but now I feel less inclined to try them! Chris...do yours taste like V8 or something? I just don't really like vegetable juice...is that a dead give away that you won't like green smoothies I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't find that it reminded me of vegetable juice. But it just tasted wrong. I can't explain. But I really did try to like them. For how much fruit I wasted trying to make it taste good I won't be trying it again. The tiny amount of greens I would be able to tolerate in it before altering the flavor would render them pretty useless in the nutrient value department I'm afraid.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried cucumber and melons for smoothies? Not as green but tasty, loads of liquid, and very refreshing when it's hot outside... And cucumbers are really low in calories but rich in vitamins and minerals :-)

    ReplyDelete